Skip to main content

Assignments, and Projects, and Internships Oh My!: Creating Good Time Management Skills

With 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, time is constrained. Time is a valuable commodity, especially if you are a college student. From keeping designated dues for assignments, applying for graduate programs or on-campus jobs, and looking for internships for summer. However, if you know how to manage your time properly, you can get through those burdens. 


According to time management statistics, 87% of students could get better grades if they improved their time management skills. Students reported using handwritten notes on a calendar to plan their time, but half of them indicated that they don't employ any method to keep following their notes. However, setting goals can help us to plan To-Do Lists, tackle small things first, and establish routines that can improve our time management skills. 



Identify Time-Wasters and Set Goals


While you are studying, it is easy to get distracted. The common distraction factors are checking social media, texting or answering phone calls, and blowing websites. However, if you set goals you can erase those time-wasters and focus on your studies. In addition, you can feel achieved as you stayed focused and accomplished the tasks you set out to complete. 


15 Biggest Time Wasters in Life - YouTube


Creating a To-Do List


Before starting to work on your assignments, projects, or research, you need to plan what you need to do. Then, prioritize the assignments based on their due and the time that you need to complete them. To do so, you need to create a To-Do List. Once you have the To-Do List, you should finish them in a day. Lastly, if you are not under pressure for priority, it's important to consider how you are feeling. If you feel creative, you can start working on writing assignments. Or, if you feel focused, you can begin preparing for upcoming exams.


How To Write A To Do List That You'll Actually Stick To


Establish Routines 


According to DreamMaker, people who sleep 7 to 8 hours each night are more likely to be productive, cheerful, and successful. If you schedule your sleep hours, you can be more productive, and help you accomplish the things you need to do. Your regular routines will bring more energy and time for your tasks. Also, the more often you follow proper routines, the less you will have to think about the work you need to finish that day. 


Routines - New Era Enterprises Ltd


Tackle Small Tasks To Start 


For freshmen, you can be overwhelmed by large projects, essays, and exams. Then, the anxiety will make you procrastinate again. Starting with smaller or simpler works can make feel achieved. In addition to feeling achieved, you can experience the progress from your daily to-do list or goals. Think about what you can complete in the shortest time and which has the fewest dependencies.


Crossing off those small to-dos. Chipping away at tasks that have been… |  by Grace Noh | Medium


What do you think?

Have you ever crammed exams before? When are you productive the most? How do you spend your time in college? Are there any other tips you can think of for good time management skills?

Learn More Here

https://mcgraw.princeton.edu/undergraduates/resources/resource-library/effective-time-management


https://www.purdueglobal.edu/blog/student-life/time-management-busy-college-students/

 

https://dreammakerr.com/time-management-statistics/

Comments

  1. I am a major procrastinator, so this was very helpful. I have definitely crammed for exams, then been disappointed by the grade that I got back. Instead of studying, I spend my time watching TV shows, I just finished binging Modern Family, napping, or texting my friends. I am most productive in the late morning to late afternoon. One thing that does help me keep on track is writing a to-do list. I enjoy the satisfaction of crossing off tasks as I complete them. There is an app called Flora, where you set a timer for a certain amount of time and grow a tree. If you leave the app, to check a text or something else, the tree dies. This has helped me, until I realized you can pause the timer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia, I am a huge procrastinator too. I am glad that my blog helped you in anyway. I strongly encourage you to keep using a to-do list!! Also, thank you for introducing a new app for me!

      Delete
  2. Hi Seongmin, first and foremost, your blog is so visually appealing! Your color scheme and layout is very professional, with both enough room to breathe while also making your point. I really like how you scattered statistics throughout your blog. For example, you say that "According to time management statistics, 87% of students could get better grades if they improved their time management skills." These certainly help to make and strengthen your point, while also encouraging the reader to make the change. To answer your questions, personally I am most productive at the later hours of the night. I spend most of the day at my classes and working, leaving the nights for fun things such as reading or playing Skyrim and Animal Crossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camryn, I am glad to hear that you liked my blog design! I hope you keep it up with everything when you are being the most productive!

      Delete
  3. Hi Seongmin! I really enjoyed this blog because I am a master procrastinator. I really reflected on my own habits as I was reading this and I developed ways to improve my own lifestyle. I definitely need to look into establishing a daily routine, as my days are always chaotic and unpredictable. I really like the tip to work on small tasks first to feel rewarded. I always get discouraged from doing my assignments because I try to start with the longest and hardest ones first to get them out of the way. I think it would be very beneficial to start with small tasks first, as it would build up my motivation. I also really like how you recommended to include how I am feeling when picking a task to do. I think it's important, as I always try to complete tasks when I am not in the right mindset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abbey, thank you for a detailed analysis of my blog! I don't think I have set up my own routine yet, but I will keep trying to have one! Doing small tasks is really important! Hope you have a successful semester!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Hi Alayna, I do agree that a list can be very much helpful for time management. Personally, I put my phone in my back so that there isn'y any disturbances while I am studying. Also, one day you will get paid off from your sacrifices and efforts for your academic successes! Hope you will get good GPA before your graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Seongmin! I appreciate the insights and tips you provide for managing academic assignments and projects. I agree that breaking down large tasks into smaller, more manageable parts is an effective strategy, and seeking out support from professors and academic advisors can be helpful as well. It's important to remember that academic challenges are common and can be opportunities for growth and learning. By taking a proactive and strategic approach, we can successfully manage our workloads and achieve our academic goals. Thank you for sharing your perspective and advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Enoch!
      Thank you for reading my blog!
      I hope it helps you for your academic success!

      Delete
  6. Hi Seongmin! I loved reading your blog, and the visuals are very appealing. The colors and themes go together perfectly, and they are simple yet descriptive. The title of the blog also caught my curiosity immediately, and I wanted to keep reading. As a procrastinator myself, reading this blog was very helpful and motivating for me. I have kept off homework until the day it was due, and I have studied for exams the night before. We do not intentionally do this, but the anxiety we have causes this. You explained the aspect of built up anxiety about assignments causing us to procrastinate more. That is something that I have been unable to explain to my peers and parents, but it is very real. It is important to recognize that a large amount of tasks can cause a person to be overwhelmed, and they procrastinate more because of this. I love the idea of a to-do list. I created my own on google sheets, and it has helped me significantly improve my time management throughout this semester. Lastly, I the statistics that you give in your blog support your facts well, and they help the reader understand the magnitude of your points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harshini!
      I am a huge procrastinator too. Since you realized what your problems are, it's a big step! I hope you can manage your time well!

      Delete
  7. Seongmin, well done. At a quick glance, this blog looks really professional. The spacing, font and overall simplicity illude that the blog author is credibly and has a blog worth reading. The title you crafted does a great job catching the eye of many college students like myself, as procrastination is something that we all struggle with. You have organized your content in such a way that makes your blog easy to follow, but still informative. If I had to add something, I would include personal anti-procrastinating strategies of your own. This may allow your audience to try what has worked best for your own schedule. Lastly, I would have loved to see a visual that related to the statistics that you pointed out above. I think incorporating a graphic from a credible outside source would have been beneficial. Overall, this blog looks like a professional blogger composed it, so you should be proud of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ethan!!
      Thank you for a specific advice! I have never thought I could include my own tips of time management. Your idea is wonderful!! Also, what you pointed out is correct. I think the blog would have been looked nicer if I followed your advices. I will do it next time!

      Delete

Post a Comment